Teaching what we practise
Visible Ink workshops are for professionals who depend on words to do their work, whether that work is building bridges, negotiating a deal, or explaining pension plans. Our hands-on workshops show writers and editors how to move quickly from messy first drafts to clear, concise, useful documents.
Every workshop is based on writing samples that participants submit for feedback—and on years of experience working with professionals who are starting their careers, managers who are role models and mentors, and executives who set the overall tone for their organization.
Writing @ work
For those who hoped their work wouldn’t require writing [you know who you are]
New skills for professionals who write to get things done [engineers, safety managers, auditors, accountants] and for the people who help them get there [senior reviewers, project managers, information designers, technical support]. Sometimes it’s as simple as knowing what to look for and how to fix it. And knowing when to stop tinkering.
Editing on purpose
For those who wield a red pen [guardians of style and reputation]
Updated skills for workplace editors—the ones we turn to for a fresh set of eyes, a grammar check, and a final proofread. If your colleagues ask you to “please look this over before I send it,” you are a workplace editor. Visible Ink’s workshops are designed to help editors develop the kind of light, respectful touch that will make them a legend among their peers.
For writers who need to build specific skills [or change their style]
Feedback for individual writers who aren’t sure how to improve [and for their managers, as needed].
Public workshops: January & March 2018
Contact visible ink to book a workshop for your writers at work
Writing @ Work is an open registration workshop in Edmonton, Alberta. Warning: This is not a grammar workshop.
- Two-day workshop for writers who drive and deliver the services your business offers.
- 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. — January 16, 17; March 20, 21
- Workshop materials, morning coffee and lunch included in registration fee of $750 (plus GST).
Visible Ink’s workshop clients include:
- Some of Canada’s finest small and medium sized businesses
- Publicly traded companies that recognize the value of clear words
- Environmental consultants who are passionate about the work they do
- Government writers and regulators with a vision for public service
- Engineers, accountants, lawyers, and someone from IT