Reading the Table is a club for readers who share an interest in books connected to food. And really, all of life is connected to food and reading in some way. Our goal is to celebrate the connection.
We could call it a book club. But it might be more accurate to call RTT a reading club for readers who have a food habit. Or for foodies who have a reading habit.
Unlike a traditional book club, where members read a book chosen by the group, Reading the Table will be more like a pot luck dinner or a surprise party. It’s designed to allow you to drop in when you’re at the farmers market, to discover—or introduce—great books that are related in some way to our local market experience.
I’ve got a few ideas to get us started. Short reads, longer books. New finds and old favourites. From there, I hope RTT club members and drop-in participants will feel free to change the menu every month. Together, we’ll decide how our reading club works.
We’ll also discover great writing that reminds us of the power of good food and the connections we all make around the table.
Our first meeting will take place on Saturday, May 16. Here’s when and where to find us:
- Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market, 10305 97 Street NW
- RTT will meet on the upper level of the indoor market We’ll help you find us when you’re at the market itself!
- Our first meeting is designed for interested members to drop in from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Coffee and treats are self-catered, at your favourite market vendor. This means we won’t be setting up a free coffee station or making tea or asking you to bake blueberry muffins the next time we meet.
- The May long weekend is also the EDFM’s traditional opening day for the outdoor market. Don’t forget to bring your market bags.
Please leave a comment here if you’re interested in joining the club.